Lung Cancer Optimal Pathway Group
The group provides strategic oversight for the improvement of lung cancer outcomes and patient experience across West Yorkshire and Harrogate. By taking a whole pathway and systemwide approach the group implements and supports:
- Urgent responses to pressures recently seen with COVID-19.
- National cancer priorities outlined in the in NHS 5 Year Forward View and NHS Long Term Plan (screening, early diagnosis, delivery of the Rapid Diagnostic Pathways and Personalised Care interventions)
- Development and update of the local clinical guidelines.
The group plan to meet three times a year, the schedule culminating in an educational event, where shared learning and best practice is presented to a wider networked audience.
The group has delivered the following projects to date:
- Implementation of the National Optimal Lung Cancer Diagnostic Pathway
- An IST analysis, identifying pressure points in the pathway. As a result of the analysis, Trusts have received funding for pathway navigators to micro-manage the front end of the pathway
- The review of Diagnostic Bundling to identify the challenges to implementing the Diagnostic Standards of Care (DSOC) in Trusts and identify actions to move Trusts towards implementation
- Key outcomes metrics agreed to monitor the progress of the group and improve outcomes for patients.
- Supporting the implementation of local lung health check pilot projects in Bradford and Wakefield.
Current priority target areas for the group are:
- To evaluate the role of the pathway navigators to understand their impact
- To identify challenges to the implementation of the Diagnostic Standards of Care
- To support the roll out of national lung health checks, targeted at populations with high levels of deprivation, smoking and lung cancer mortality
- To support personalised stratified interventions for people living with and beyond cancer
- To support Trusts to implement actions identified by Getting it Right First Time 'deep dives'.
If you require further information, please contact the Optimal Pathways team by emailing email@example.com.
To view the calendar of meetings and events, click here