Breast Cancer Optimal Pathway Group
The group provides strategic oversight to improve breast cancer outcomes and patient experience across West Yorkshire and Harrogate. By taking a whole pathway and system wide approach the group implement and support:
- Urgent responses to pressures that have recently occurred due to COVID-19.
- National cancer priorities outlined in the in the NHS 5 Year Forward View and NHS Long Term Plan (screening, early diagnosis, delivery of the ‘Rapid Diagnostic Centres’ and Personalised Care Interventions.)
- The development and updating of local clinical guidelines.
The group meets three times a year, culminating in an educational event, where shared learning and best practice is presented to a wider networked audience.
The group has delivered the following projects to date:
- An educational event took place in November 2019 which brought together clinicians and other allied health professionals to improve breast cancer outcomes in West Yorkshire and Harrogate.
- Reviewed the process for the sharing of information across the Alliance on open clinical trials
- Identified key metrics to measure improvements for breast cancer outcomes and patient experience in West Yorkshire and Harrogate
- Standardised the two week wait (2WW) breast referral criteria across the Alliance to ensure the referrals into secondary care are consistently of high quality. A copy of the form can be found here
Current priority target areas for the group are:
- Develop educational tools/guidance to increase confidence in GP’s to manage several low risk breast conditions initially in primary care
- To progress an audit to review the regional variation in practice in axillary node management in patients undergoing NACT and the impact on patient outcomes/experience.
- To update and review West Yorkshire and Harrogate clinical guidelines
- To progress the PinPoint Service Evaluation on the breast pathway. PinPoint is a new blood test which uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to identify a patient’s risk of cancer. The PinPoint Test looks for biomarkers which when combined with a patient’s data produces a probability of the patient having cancer
- To embed and update Personalised Care Interventions in the pathway
Take a look at our calendar of meetings and events
If you require further information, please contact the Optimal Pathways team by emailing email@example.com.